Monday, April 27, 2009

Castle Cake!



This is the first "theme" cake I attempted. Emmalee wanted a castle cake but her party was themed Strawberry Shortcake. This is what I came up with. I baked three box cakes using two rectangle baking dishes. The top layer is two layers stacked. The towers are two regular ice cream cones put bottom to bottom then dipped in white chocolate. The tops of the towers are sugar cones dipped in white chocolate then rolled in pink sprinkles. The light pink ones on the top are regular ice cream cones dipped in white chocolate and rolled in light pink sprinkles placed in the cake bottom down, then I filled them with marsh mellows and put sprinkles on. I then stuck marsh mellows around the edge of them using frosting. All the rest of the decorations are using frosting. To decorate cakes, I typically just put frosting in a plastic ziplock bag and cut the corner depending on the size I want. I did use a tip to make the strawberries on top of this cake though. Emma was turning four so I found long skinny candles and cut small holes in the top of the sugar cones and poked the candles through the bottoms. You could put candles just through the top tower, through all five or just be creative depending how old the child is turning! This cake looks intimidating to make, but I promise, it was so easy! It did take at least four hours to make though. So leave yourself plenty of time. Even consider baking the cake one or two days ahead and freeze it wrapped in plastic wrap.

No comments:

Post a Comment